Bunny chow is a famous South African Street food that most
people there like especially in Durban where people are very proud of its
heritage. In the old days Bunny chow is what the Indian plantation workers used
to have as there days meal.
- Two cups of vegetable oil
- 3 chopped onions
- One tablespoon of cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of crushed garlic
- One teaspoon of grated ginger
- Five cracked cardamom pods
- Five cloves (whole)
- 4 sticks of cinnamon
- Three star anise
- Three tablespoons of curry powder
- Some chili powder
- Five pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces (preferably finely chopped) You can also use Lamb instead of chicken if you prefer
- One cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- Two tablespoons of salt
- Five tomatoes Chopped & Pureed
- 3 chopped potatoes
- One stem of fresh curry leaves
- 8 to 10 loaves of firm white sandwich bread unsliced and halved for serving
- Some carrot salad for serving
- Heat some vegetable oil in a large heavy wide pot on medium heat. Add some onions then cook until they start getting brown. This whole process takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add some ginger, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom cloves and star anise then cook stirring frequently. This should take about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add some curry powder then some chili powder (if you like to spice things up) and cook it for another minute or so. Now stir the chicken in making sure to coat it well with spices and cook for two minutes.
- Add in the cilantro, tomatoes, salt, curry leaves and potatoes. Simmer your mixture till your chicken is cooked thoroughly. This process takes about 30 minutes. You can add in additional seasoning if required.
- Now dig out the center of the loaves of bread half in a piece keeping the plug. (Do not throw the scooped out plug away) Now spoon your curry in to the hollow of each half loaf of bread and place the plug on the top. Serve the Bunny Chow with some carrot salad.
- To eat your bunny chow use your hands to break off some of the bread then use it to scoop up some of the carrot salad and some curry.