Chakalaka is a thick & delicious sauce which is usually
taken cold as an additional meal to braaied boerewors , chops and barbecued
meat. It is also used as a very colourful accompanying dish to a wide range of
foods like pap, samp, mielie pap, curries, stews and so on.
- 150 mls of sunflower oil
- 1 large diced onion
- Two green diced peppers
- 20 mls Hot curry powder
- Four large carrots peeled & grated
- Six large tomatoes grated
- Two small red chilies finely chopped
- 450 grams baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 5 mls peri peri powder
- 5 mls Aromat
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pot on medium heat
- Add your green peppers and onions and fry them until they are soft then add some curry powder & fry for one minute to release the aroma & flavor.
- Add in the grated carrots, chilies, tomatoes, beans & Knorr vegetable stock pot and thoroughly mix.
- Allow this mixture to cook for about fifteen minutes over medium heat.
- Now stir your mixture every five minutes to ensure that it doesn’t stick and become smooth
- Now you can add in your peri peri powder & Aromat & cook for another fifteen minutes.